Saturday, July 11, 2009

Julio 7, 2009





Back At the Office!
Today, I began my return to Peru.com with Kike, the editor of the website. 
At the beginning of and throughout each day Kike's inbox is filled with articles of journalist's hoping that there piece of news will make the current events or even frontpage!
Kike showed me how selects these articles and how he makes a post/headline on the homepage of Peru.com. 
The main headlines of today seemed to be the funeral of Micheal Jackson and the recent decisions of current Peruvian President Alan Garcia.
After my lesson with Kike, I headed up to the deportes/futbol section (Sports and soccer) that would provide experiences over the next couple days that I would never forget.
One of my goals going into this internship was to be involved in the sports section of the site, because I am a huge sports fanatic.
I had barley settled down in this new section of the office when I learned that I would be accompanying a soccer journalist to a press conference with the Heads of the Peruvian Soccer Players Organization. 
I was thrilled to hear this, and even more excited to learn that I would be responsible for taking pictures of the heads.
So, we left the office at about noon and after a short taxi ride arrived to a plain, white apartment building that had no press signs or anything on it's exterior. Not exactly what I had imagined where a press conference would be held, but it makes sense that they want to keep it low key for security reasons.
After reaching the room of the conference, it was much smaller than I had imagined and was packed from wall to wall with journalists, photographers, cameramen and TV reporters. 
I found out that press conferences involve a lot of waiting around and build up for an event that last just under ten minutes. 
Once the conference got under way, all the press members were suddenly entranced by the head's every word and move.
I found myself pressed against other journalists in a mad rush to get the possible shot. 
After the conference had ended, I was thrilled about the experience and satisfied that I had gotten a good shot. 
We returned to the office and I later saw that my picture had been put along with the article on Peru.com! (sports section, the link is in the sidebar)
After today, I could not believe how fortunate I was to have attended an event I thought I would only ever see on TV!
Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment