Saturday, July 11, 2009

Julio 8, 2009





Another packed and interesting day!
I spent the day with IQuiero, the online store at Peru.com(or Peru-Punto-Com) 
IQuiero allows Peruvians living outside of Peru to send gifts to their families and friends living in Lima and other major regions in Peru.
The store literally has anything you would need to send to someone!
Beyond the most popular items of cakes and flowers, you can send refrigerators, washing machines, flat screen TV's you name it.
One of my favorite items was an order where you send a traditional Mariachi band to play in your receiver's front yard. I thought that was truly unique to this site, and that is not something you will find on a big site like Ebay.
I first met with Manuel, who is the head of the IQuiero delivery department. I also met Vicky, Elias, Javier and Mauro who are all involved in delivery/inventory. 
I took a quick tour of the delivery office and inventory room, which is filled with objects ready to be delivered.
Adter the tour, I set off with Mauro to make some deliveries around Lima. 
While driving around in the delivery van with Mauro we made our way through the neighborhoods of Miraflores, San Isidro, San Martin, Los Olivos, Magdalena Del Mar, Pueblo Libre, and San Miguel!
In just a few hours, I was able to experience all of these neighborhoods in a way that even most natives will never be able to. It was definitely a very unique tour and view of Lima. Mauro was great and told me about all the neighborhoods we visited and how to find locations that he was not familiar with, although he amazed me in his ability to name almost any street we drove on. 
I accompanied Mauro throughout all his deliveries and one in particular in which Mauro took a picture of the receiver with their gift. (This is a confirmation service than can be requested by the sender.)
This was a great experience and I felt as if this delivery trip was an added bonus to an internship that had already introduce me to the world of travel agencies and press conferences. I'm sure more awesome experiences await me over the next week as I continue my internship at Peru.com.
Chau

No comments:

Post a Comment